Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to: Install JDM Maplights & Rods
Unregistered

This is my 1st how to, so I'll try my best. Big Grin

This is a standard install that replaces the cable door opening system with the JDM rod system. It also runs the maplights on acc. power, so they only work when the ignition is on. I'm sure there are other variations but this is how I did mine.

Required Tools:

- Flatblade screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- 10MM Socket & driver
- Crimp tool
- Wire cutters or Knife
- Safety glasses

Optional Tools:

- Door Panel removal tool
- Magnetic pickup tool
- Nitrile/latex gloves

Door Panel Removal

This is the same for the passenger and the driver side.

There are 3 fasteners that hold the door panel in place
1.) Behind the tab on the inside door handle. Use a flatblade driver to open the tab, and use the Philips drive to remove the screw. Image
2.) Behind the tab on the lower armrest handle. Use a flatblade driver to remove the tab, and use the Philips drive to remove the screw. Image
3.) In the upper Left corner there is a plastic screw. Use the Philips drive to remove it, then the flatblade to remove the clip. Image

You must now remove the inside door handle.

1.) Slide towards the front of the car. The handle has tabs on the inside which are prone to breakage.
2.) You can slide the handle through the opening, or you can remove the cable clips first, your choice.
3.) Use optional door panel tool to pry door clips or lift up at around 45 degree angle to remove the panel.
4.) Undo any quick connectors to your tweeters, power locks and windows if you have them. Image

Removing the locking rod and door opening Cable

1.) Pull back the handle to show the two clips holding the rod and the cable.
2.) Use the flatblade driver to unlatch the white plastic clips. Image
3.) Remove the lock rod.
4.) Remove the cable.
5.) Use the flatblade to lever the Blue cable piece out of it's housing. Image
6.) The door handle is now free, put aside.
7.) Remove the cable holder tab from the door with the flatblade driver. Image

Removing the End cable from the Door

This part is going to piss you off, and sometimes take awhile. There is zero room to work, but I found a couple of tricks to help you out.

1.) The end of the cable is in a bracket by the latch mechanisim at the back of the door. Image
2.) Behind that bracket is the end of the cable and it is in a white plastic clip like the ones on the inside door handle.
3.) There is a small hole in the door, put your flatblade driver in there and wedge it under the cable, infront of the bracket. Image
4.) Pull down on the flatblade to pry the cable out of the bracket. The cable is still connected by the white plastic tab. Image
5.) Remove the Large black grommet to the right and up of the 1st small hole. You can now see down to were the white plastic clip is. Image
6.) Steady the cable & clip with your left hand inside the door panel.
7.) Use the flatblade driver through the large grommet hole to unlatch the cable from the white clip. Image
8.) Remove the Cable assembly. Image

Installing the Rod System

1.) The Rods are Colour coded. Orange = Passenger. Blue = Drivers Image
2.) The Coloured end goes into the door. Install is the reverse of the cable removal. Image
3.) Your locking and door latch rods should be installed like this when you are done. Image 1 Image2

Connect the Pigtails

1.) Clip off exposed wire on one of the 2 pigtail leads. Either one is fine. Image
2.) Use a wiretap to splice into acc. power.
Passanger = Solid Orange Wire. Image
Driver = Solid Yellow Wire. Image
Silver dots on the wire are ok, but no stripes.
3.) Check to see if you have sufficient wire to reach the maplight when in the installed position.
4.) DOUBLE check to be sure you are tapping in to the correct colour wire Image

Optional: You may need to extend the pigtail lead for the power depending on how your harness is setup. I had to extend one of mine (Drivers Side).

5.) Crimp a "U" connector to the ground lead on the pigtail. Image
6.) Ground one of the pigtail leads to one of the Bolts in the door. Loosen with 10MM socket & driver. Image
7.) Plug the connector into the maplight.
8.) Turn on the ignition and test the maplight, by pushing the button on & off. Image

Installing the Maplight

1.) Use the Phillips drive to remove the 2 screws on the back of the handle. Image
2.) Remove metal frame, White plastic insert, and the back outside cover. Image

Optional: if you are installing a 6 LED bulb, gently pry the clear lense housing off using the Flatblade driver. Install the LED, Test, snap cover back into place. Image 1 Image 2

3.) Snap the maplight into the door handle housing.

Installing the Handle & Maplight Combo

1.) The white plastic tab the was used for the old cable must be removed, and placed the same direction as the locking rod's tab. (upside down) Image
2.) Plug in the maplight connector.
3.) Install the Handle. Reassembly is identical to removal.
4.) Install the Door Panel. Reassembly is identical to removal.

Rinse, repeat for the other Door. You're done!
Installed 1 Installed 2 Installed 3

[Image: %2797%20-Del%20Sol-%20JDM%20Maplight%20Install.jpg]
05-08-2011, 04:57 PM
pocho_1976 Offline

Re: How to: Install JDM Maplights & Rods
nice job, excellent Write Up, i just did this on my car, where did you get the rods?

thanks [smilie=drinks.gif]
[Image: firmahonda-1.jpg]
05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Find Reply
Unregistered

pocho_1976 Wrote:nice job, excellent Write Up, i just did this on my car, where did you get the rods?

thanks [smilie=drinks.gif]

Rods were part of the kit I ordered. Genuine Honda parts from Japan Big Grin
05-10-2011, 02:38 AM
chaos_cascade Offline
Craigslist Concierge

:winkok) purty write up. [smilie=drinks.gif] Now... just don't change your photos. So many people do these beautiful write ups only to mess with their photobucket account and undo all that great work.
[Image: zzzzz-1.jpg]
05-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Find Reply
Unregistered

chaos_cascade Wrote::winkok) purty write up. [smilie=drinks.gif] Now... just don't change your photos. So many people do these beautiful write ups only to mess with there photobucket account and undo all that great work.

Hehe yeah. I have thisone locked and it's a google/picasa so it's not going anywhere Wink
05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
fishyboi4 Offline
TSC daily wolfpack member

Wow great stuff man, props to you. If only i had this write up was up when i did mines, i wouldn't have had such difficulties with them lol. :coffee)
Got sol?
05-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
fuzzysig Offline
ghost in the sol

my rods are not color coded and unfortunately the ones that are in are bent.
so i cant tell which rods go where.

i got both rods the lock and door handle for each side and cannot figure out which one is lock and which is door handle

anyone have pictures?
ANTI SKINNY TIRE WOLFPACK
WTB racing hart 15 or 16 inch wheels CP-035 or CP-F
Hamsterwheel my SOL thread http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=146
05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Find Reply
Cargo Offline
Canyon Runner

What are the rods for, why do you need new ones when you do the map lights?
I just got a set and Im just trying to figure it all out before I just in heads first.
Samurai
06-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Find Reply
Sol_Stew Offline
Administrator

Cargo Wrote:What are the rods for, why do you need new ones when you do the map lights?
I just got a set and Im just trying to figure it all out before I just in heads first.
The rods replace the cable controls that are standard on US cars. There is no space for the cables when the map lights are installed. It is possible to bend things around and re-mount the cable bracket, but the easiest way is to get the rods.

Thomas Lin should be able to get you everything.
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lincorp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.lincorp.com</a><!-- w -->
TeamSol Cal Stickers!
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
-~-~-
Try TeamSol chat! http://www.teamsolcal.com/forum/chat/
06-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Website Find Reply
crasher64 Offline

[Image: rod.jpg]

so I'm having some trouble after installing the rods... it seems like the new rod moves back or forward to much that the door lock gets stuck... I looked over where the lock mechanism is and sure enough when its pushed far enough there is no space for it to move.

I copied totoro's picture and edit it to explain how my bottom rod moves. it doesn't stay return to its same position.

any Ideas why??

I did everything that's explained on this write up and the one that lincorp sent me...

thanks
CRASHER64
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Find Reply
Solebrity Offline

RE: How to: Install JDM Maplights & Rods
(08-22-2011, 03:32 PM)crasher64 Wrote:  any Ideas why??

I did everything that's explained on this write up and the one that lincorp sent me...

thanks

I had the same problem. You have to remove the bracket too. Works perfect now.

[Image: photo-9.jpg]

My honda brings all the girls to the yard.
In this bar, It only matters who I is
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Find Reply
kenny88880 Offline
Elite Poster

from both sides or just one?
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Website Find Reply
Solebrity Offline

Both sides.
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Find Reply
kenny88880 Offline
Elite Poster

So you think that removing that bracket from both sides is a requirement for the rods to function properly in the USDM del Sol doors?
12-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Solebrity Offline

Yes, because if you leave the bracket on. The rod will not move back and forth right. Try it first and you will see what I'm talking about.
12-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Find Reply
kenny88880 Offline
Elite Poster

OK THANK YOU!!! I will try this in a few days and get back to you. I have been dealing with weird lock issues ever since I put in the lights and rods!
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Solebrity Offline

Can't believe your doors open with brackets on. I couldn't get mine to open at all.
Well don't thank me yet. Just try it and let me know.
12-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Find Reply
kenny88880 Offline
Elite Poster

Yeah, they work like 50% of the time. The driver always works, just makes a loud dadadadada sound but the passenger side is hit or miss.
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Website Find Reply
kenny88880 Offline
Elite Poster

OMG they work now! The bracket was interesting to remove but I got them off and they work like a charm now! THANKS!
12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Website Find Reply
alston3ptswish Offline
Die Hard Soler

Just got done with my maplight install. went pretty good. I have some tips to add plus a question. Tip-Instead of removing the cable bracket inside the door(which will take a good bit of time), I got plyers and just bent the metal back away so it wouldnt interfere with the lock rod. Its a pretty thin piece of metal and easy to bend... another quick tip- The passenger side maplight will NOT work unless you have the drivers side window harness plugged in to the door panel. Just figured i'd throw that helpfull hint out there cause when i tested the passenger maplight before throwing the door panels on it took me an extra 20 minutes to diagnose why i wasnt getting power to it....

Question-for those who removed the door cable bracket, how did you do this?! I see 2 small phillip head screws that hold the bracket on, but there is no way in hell to get them out.... Unless you have to pull the whole assembly out to get to those screws(which is why i just bent it out of the way for now.

01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Website Find Reply
Boone Offline
The Fermentor

Nice I have to do this tomarrow.
Founder of the 5 am crew
Mae West, "When choosing between evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before."
05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Find Reply
Totoro Offline

I wish my guest posts would get changed over to my username. Lol
05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Find Reply
soundbringer Offline

Many thanks,

Managed to get all this done at night with a torch and the ceiling light.. only used a screwdriver, a size 10 spanner and some wire and tape! Got both maplights on now so I finally can see what i'm doing..20 They look awesome too sweet!!
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
stiles Offline

this write up was very helpful, that bracket is actually really easy to get off, you just take the 3 screws off the side of the door that hold the lock latch and you can swing it around and have access to the two screws that hold it on took like 5 min to get it off
08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
ohbuckeyes Offline
Posting Freak

Looks like a great write up, trying it today!
[Image: 2qn1og0.jpg]

10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Website Find Reply